Tuesday

zucchini muffins


isn't the squash lovely at the greenmarket lately? we recently had lots of leftover zucchini from a shoot and i realized that it's been ages since i baked with zucchini. both of our moms used to make great zucchini bread and we grew up loving it but for this recipe i reached for a book off our much neglected cookbook shelf. this recipes is adapted from apples for jam, a beautiful book full of simple comforting recipes and chapters that are organized by color. we've made a few things that are delicious so far but just love flipping through the pages for inspiring stories and images.

we are taking a little vacation - happy to be in sunny CA & hot AZ with lots of morning walks on the beach, breakfasts here and fish tacos here. we'll try to post some of our eating adventures and travel pics from the road so stay tuned.

Zucchini Muffins
makes 12

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp vanilla
zest of 1 small lemon
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
3 zucchini, coarsely grated
2/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned & coarsely chopped
preheat oven to 350 degrees F. in a small bowl, beat sugar, olive oil and vanilla until smooth. add lemon zest and stir to combine. add eggs, one at a time and whisk until pale yellow and thick. in a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. gradually fold together wet ingredients into the dry just until combined. mix in zucchini and hazelnuts and stir. fill a greased muffin tin with batter and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. if making a loaf, bake for 55-60 minutes. enjoy!

11 comments:

matt said...

I love love LOVE that image. LOVE.

Oh, and zucchini muffins, too :)

The French said...

I love zucchini bread so I'm sure I will love these muffins.

When I was younger, I called it Bikini Bread:)

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Mm I love zucchini anything -- sweet or savory! Lovely shot as usual :). Enjoy your trip!

Lindsey @ FRESH AIR + FRESH FOOD said...

Beautiful pictures. I'm dazzed . . . I'm hungry! Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Only two of us in the house who aren't on a 100% bottle or kibble diet, so a full batch of muffins always seems like a chore for such a limited audience. but these look like they'd freeze well, making for a month full of breakfasts here and there as needed. Cheers!

Amelia PS said...

just discovered your blog. Lovely. I am your newest follower!!!

Reginald@CeramicCanvas said...

What an amazing image!

And considering that it

the time of year when

gardens everywhere are

being taken over by

zucchini plants, this is

perfect time of year to

cook up a batch of these

delish treats.

Cheers!

Vending Machines Sydney said...

Ooh, this looks tasty! I loved munching on muffins on my way to work, an alternative to those foods that I buy in the vending machines.

Vending Machines said...

I loved munching on muffins on my way to work, an alternative to the food I buy in vending machines.

Vending Machines said...

I Love ice creams

Vending machines said...

Great tasting food